This morning I was looking back and thinking about the random collage exercise, the ink blot exercise and yesterday’s negative drawing exercise and I came up with this idea for a negative space masking collage.
- an artist’s journal, unlined notebook, or piece of paper
- Walnut ink in spay bottles
- Scrap paper
- wax paper or parchment paper
Negative image masking
- Take a page of your sketchbook or some scrap paper and cut out shapes
- Drop or lay them on a page of your artist’s journal
- You may want to put wax paper or parchment paper behind the page to control bleed through
- Take the Tsukineko Walnut Ink and spray the coloured inks over the page.
- Remove the collage pieces. Set them aside to dry and save them for a future collage exercise.
Reflections on the Exercise
- It’s nice that previous exercises came together to lead me to this one
- Lesson learned: Walnut ink bleeds through the page. I’m mad at myself. I ruined yesterday’s stool drawing by doing this ink exercise on the back of the page. I then did a third one and you can see it through on the back of the first image.
- Love those walnut inks.