- An artist’s journal, unlined notebook, or piece of paper
- A sharpened pencil
- A timer
This exercise needs to be done during the daylight hours when you can see the birds.
- Sit comfortably in front of a window. For this exercise, I sat cross-legged on the floor looking up at my living room window.
- Set the timer on your phone for 3-5 minutes
- Make a mark on the page for every bird that flies across your field of vision.
Reflections on the Exercise
- There were times of quiet when no birds were flying past the window and I found this to be very calming and relaxing
- The marks reflect a variety of movements: swoops, flapping wings in flight, landings, hops, and glides
- Sometimes the birds would come in and out of my vision so some of the marks begin or end partway through the frame