Bulletism is a Surrealist technique of shooting ink at a blank piece of paper. The result is a type of ink blot. The artist can then develop images based on what is seen. The Rorschach test is a well-known psychological test that records and analyzes a subjects’ perceptions of inkblots.
- an artist’s journal, unlined notebook, or piece of paper
- India ink
- I took my journal down to my art studio and spilt India ink on a page
- I folded the page in half
- I then took a paper towel and dabbed at the blot to remove some of the excess
Reflections on the Exercise
- On Day 8 I did a similar exercise. This time I folded the paper in half and it does look like a Rorschach test. The ink blot looks like a large turtle, at least that’s what I see.
- This is a good exercise for a day when I don’t have a lot of time or inclination to keep the practice going.